Thursday, February 01, 2007


If Morality Represents How We'd Like The World To Work, Economics Represents How It Actually Does

Even after more than six years in the book trade, I don't like reading books that are on bestseller lists, or even prize winning titles. On the rare occasion that I do pick up such a title, it's because the contents interest me. I'm not particularly interested in reading just to see why it won an award, or something. I feel that too many people read certain titles just because. Because if so many other people have bought it, it must be good. Because if it won a literary award, it must be good. Because I will seem like an avid reader if I mentioned that I've read this, it must be good. While I'm not dissing the first two reasons, I think that one should also pick up a book based on the content, if the subject interests you. Would you really read a book on the mating rituals of the Rocky Mountain Elk even if it was #1 on the NYT list, and won more than a handful of literary awards? Honestly?

Having said all that, I surprised myself by picking up a copy of Freakonomics. And I really enjoyed it. The book explores all sorts of modern real-world issues, and asks, then analyses out-of-the-box questions like "What Do Schoolteachers And Sumo Wrestlers Have In Common?" or "Why Do Drug Dealers Still Live With Their Moms?" It was funny and thought-provoking at the same time. Read more on the Freakonomics blog.

So if you only intend to read one book this year, read this!

Posted by jack at 11:17 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment