Thursday, February 01, 2007


Excuse Me, I Missed Your Definition Of Free

"From January 2007, public areas in Singapore will offer wireless connectivity, and for starters, there will be two years of free surfing at speeds of up to 512 Kbps."

Yeah, right! While the wifi access is free, IDA forgot to mention that these hotspots are situated in cafes and the like. How can it possibly be "free" access if I have to buy at least a drink or something? Oh, I'm sorry, I must've misread the fineprint hidden amongst the big hoohah about there being free (there's that word again) wifi for all. I assumed that I would able to just sit at a bus-stop, flip open the 'book and get connectivity there. I didn't realise there were hidden costs involved.

Now buying a drink from Burger King or even Starbucks isn't all that costly, but to mislead people into thinking that they wouldn't have to pay a single cent to access the web? We could definitely use more transparency here...

Posted by jack at 11:01 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment